Thanks to development in the science and technology. If you are unable to conceive naturally, science and technology has opened the door for countless other options and IUI (Intrauterine Insemination) is just one of them.
It is also popular by the name of Artificial Insemination in which, woman is inseminated with fresh or frozen sperms. Healthy or stronger sperms are directly placed in the uterus.
What are the Primary causes of Infertility in women?
- Blockage of serious damage in the fallopian tube
- Ovarian failure
- Infertility in male
- Serious case of Endometriosis
Wondering if Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) is an ideal treatment for your case? Following information will help you decide!
Factors on Which the Success of IUI Depends
- The age of woman
- Status of the fallopian tube; at least one should be open
- Sperm count; IUI has lower success rate if the sperm sample has less than 5 million motile sperm
Rate of Pregnancy Based Upon the Number of Times You Undergo IUI
- When a woman undergoes just one cycle of IUI, she has 10 to 20 percent chances of getting pregnant.
- With 3 to 6 cycles, chances of getting pregnancy rises to 80 percent
As pregnancy rate is directly proportional to the number of IUI cycles, with IUI the chances of getting pregnant are nearly similar to the pregnancy rates of couples who are fertile.
Rate of Pregnancy Based on the Woman’s Age Group
According to studies, the success rate of IUI according to the age group is:
||Almost 0 percent
Definitely, age is the prime factor in deciding the success rate of IUI but besides this, severity and the cause of infertility also contribute a lot in making a woman pregnant.
Intrauterine Insemination: YES or NO?
Still unable to decide; the following table categorizes people who should and who should not go for Intrauterine Insemination (IUI).
|low sperm count
||Severe disease in fallopian tubes
|sperm motility problems
||Pelvic infections in the past
||Moderate or severe endometriosis
|hostile cervical mucous
|need for donor sperm
IUI Success Secret: Sperm Washing
Sperm washing is the real secret behind successful Intrauterine Insemination (IUI). A special washing process is used to prepare the sperm sample that is used in the insemination.
Sperm washing process:
The first step involves separating weaker sperm from the healthier ones. Once this is done, the stronger ones are clustered in high volume in the sample after all toxins are removed from it. By removing sperms, changes of allergic reaction and no pregnancy are nullified.
Fertility Drugs That Often Given to Ensure IUI Success
Fertility drugs are quite helpful in making you conceive with Intrauterine Insemination. Therefore, most physicians prescribe Letrozole (Femara), Clomiphene Citrate (Clomid) or some follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) before the insemination process. These drugs stimulate ovulation, eventually increasing the chances of IUI success.
Are there any risks, disadvantages or concerns of undergoing IUI?
Though IUI has a high rates of success, it is still not recommended to everyone with infertility issues. There are certain things that must be taken care of properly to ensure that insemination process leads to the desired results.
- There are little chances of developing OHSS (Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome). It is a problem when fluids in the ovaries leak into the tummy due to swelling, eventually making you feel bloated. This is a rare occurrence; however it may also occur even if your body is responding wonderfully to the fertility drugs.
- Sometimes, due to contaminated catheter or semen sample, woman may develop an infection in the fallopian tubes or uterus. A Woman rarely suffers from this problem, and to nullify its chances of occurrence proper cleaning and precautions must be taken on the right time.
In case you experience discomfort, it is important to consult a doctor immediately. He or she will not only treat you well but will also ensure that the insemination process is successful.
Cost of Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
The cost of IUI varies from one clinic to the other. However, the overall cost of the treatment lies somewhere in between $300 and $800. In some clinics, there are additional charges for blood monitoring, ultrasound and other medical tests.
Fertility Solutions is one of the leading fertility clinics committed to offering state-of-the-art solutions for infertility in Buderim and Bundaberg. It is backed by highly experienced staff and employs hi-tech tools and technologies to help you grow your family.